How to make Orange Sauce
- Orange Sauce Pairings: Meats, Fish and Cheeses
- Orange Sauce Ingredients
- Sauce Preparation
- Spicy Orange Sauce
- Hot to preserve orange sauce
The perfect balance of sweetness, spiciness and sourness: we are talking about the orange sauce, which pairs perfectly with cheeses, bushmeat and many other creative recipes. Let’s start from the pairings, which are the best ones for such a particular sauce?
Orange Sauce Pairings: Meats, Fish and Cheeses
Let yourself be surprised by the versatility of this preparation: orange sauce matches perfectly with many different dishes, that must be tried!
Orange Sauce with Meats and Bushmeats
Thanks to its intense, however balanced flavour, our orange sauce can emphasize the taste of roasted duck or chicken, and bushmeats as well. Any inspiration for your next Sunday lunch? Saddle of venison or boar, or guinea-fowl, with the orange sauce they will truly become gourmet dishes.
Orange Sauce with Seafood Dishes
Not only meat: some seafood recipes lend themselves to be paired with orange sauce, which will make every dish special, thanks to its spicy-sour flavour. In this case, too, we whet you with a very original pairing: brill, bream, or shrimps, the flavour of these ingredients will be enhanced by the sour and spicy notes of the orange sauce.
Orange Sauce and Cheeses
Last, but not least: cheeses. As already mentioned, every cheese should have its own sauce, to completely enjoy its flavour. The question is: which are the cheeses whose taste is best emphasized by the orange sauce? Orange-based preserves – marmalades or sauces – pair perfectly with fresh cheeses or soft cheeses, especially when their flavour tends to be sweet. The sourness of the orange and the spiciness of the mustard and/or chilly peppers contained in the sauce will release a brand-new bouquet of flavours while paired with fresh goat cheeses, crescenza cheese, mascarpone, Camembert, ricotta and mozzarella cheese. Try it for yourself!
Orange Sauce Ingredients
Now that we whetted your appetite, let’s see how to prepare an excellent homemade orange sauce. Let’s start with the ingredients:
- 6 oranges (better if untreated and organic)
- 100 gr. of butter
- White wine
- One teaspoon of corn starch
Here below we will follow step by step the preparation of our orange sauce.
- Wash the oranges and squeeze the juice with the help of a juicer: don’t forget to keep the skin of one orange. Remove any seed or pulp left in the juice and, once the operation is completed, pour the juice in a small pan.
- Finely grate the skin of the orange, put it in a small pan and let it cook for a few minutes. Then let it sit while you proceed with the following steps.
- Put four or five spoons of sugar in a pan, and add a few spoons of white wine. Let cook over very low heat, until the sugar is completely melted, golden, thick and smooth.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add it to the mixture. Stir while cooking, until you’ll obtain a solid cream.
- Orange time has come: pour the orange juice in the pan, adding two more spoons of wine. Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Melt the corn starch in a sufficient quantity of cold water and add it to the mixture, together with the grated orange skin: the starch will speed up the thickening process. Continue to cook and stir until you’ll have a thick and smooth sauce.
- Let cool the sauce at room temperature, before using it to accompany your salty delicacies!
Spicy Orange Sauce
If you love strong and spicy flavours, you should try the spicy version of the orange sauce, enriched with a touch of chilli pepper. An even more appetizer sauce, prepared just adding a very small step to the previous recipe. You’ll just have to add some chilli powder or some small chilli pieces together with the orange juice at number 5, the quantity depends on your personal taste.
Hot to preserve orange sauce
The homemade orange sauce can be kept in the fridge for a few days, in a container with a hermetic top.