- Raspberry jam recipe
- Raspberry jam: how to preserve it
- What to pair with raspberry jam?
Bright red coloured and with a sour-sweet taste: raspberries show up in summer, you certainly don’t have to wait the good wheatear to taste them, if you have a soft and scented raspberry jam.
Raspberry jam is one of the most popular preparation using this delicious fruit, sweet and sour, with lots of health benefits: it has an anti-inflammatory and an excellent diuretic effect.
Let’s see how to prepare a delicious raspberry jam for your breakfast or for a tasty and natural afternoon snack.
Raspberry jam recipe
To prepare a homemade raspberry jam you just need three ingredients: raspberries, brown sugar and lemon juice, the same ingredients we use to prepare our Organic Raspberry Extra Jam, with ingredients from organic farming.
Making a homemade raspberry jam is easy, you’ll just need:
- 1 kg of raspberries
- 500 gr of brown sugar
- The juice of half lemon
Just a few ingredients and a few steps and following this recipe you will prepare an excellent raspberry jam.
If you plan to prepare the raspberry jam, we suggest you to start the day before:
- Rinse the raspberries under cold running water, then lay them on a dish towel and let them dry.
- Meanwhile you can squeeze the juice of half a lemon and filter it
- In a bowl, pour the lemon juice and the sugar. Stir gently and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it soak in the fridge for at least a few hours (better if you let it soak all night long)
- Stir the raspberries in their juice.
- Pour the mixture in a pan and cook for an hour on a low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon
- It’s time to check if your jam is ready: to understand if the jam is cooked you can pour a drop of jam on a dish and tilt it: if the jam sticks and it doesn’t slip away this means that it has the perfect consistency and your jam is ready.
- If you love a smooth and velvety jam, you can sift the mixture (a sifter with large holes will also be ok) and remove any trace of seeds.
- As long as the raspberry jam is hot, pour it into sterilized jars, be careful to allow 1 cm headspace between the rim of the jar and the jam.
- Close the jars and turn them upside down. Let it cool completely in order to create vacuum: after this operation you don’t have to hear the “click clack” noise while clicking on the lid.
Raspberry jam: how to preserve it
If stored in vacuum sterilized jars, your jam will last up to three months. Remember to store it in a dry and dark place (the pantry will be perfect). On the other hand, if you just can’t wait to taste it, wait at least one week from the preparation day, and once the jar is open, store it in the fridge for no longer that one week.
What to pair with raspberry jam?
Raspberry jam is very adaptable: it matches perfectly with both sweet and savoury ingredients.
Imagine to taste your raspberry jam during a rich breakfast: sour at the right point, it is perfect spread on a slice of bread and butter or on rusks. For a typical Italian pairing you may fill a fragrant croissant, if you prefer to dive yourself into a creamy world you will be surprised by a fresh and creamy yogurt enriched with raspberry jam.
And there is more! Raspberry jam is an excellent filling for cheesecakes, sponge cake rolls, pies or tasty cookies. If you if you want to prepare a snack to surprise both adults and children, match your raspberry jam with chocolate, this will be a surprising and tasty pairing. Muffin with melting heart, cupcakes or soft cakes: it will be impossible to resist.
If you prepare some unusual pairings, you can match your raspberry jam with cheeses, both savoury or fresh ones such as robiola or ricotta. Try to believe!
Finally, it pairs perfectly with wild game meat, since its sweetness will balance the strong and typical taste of wild game meat.